Terms & Conditions
Thank you for booking with Spike Island, we look forward to welcoming you.
The management reserves the right at all times to refuse admission.
By purchasing tickets for Spike Island ®, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to be bound by and subject to the following Terms and Conditions and have read and agree to the use of the information you provide us with.
- Spike Island has received the Failte Ireland Covid safety charter.
- Please have your ticket printed or your phone open with the booking reference clearly displayed.
- As per current goverment guidelines regarding public transport visitors must wear a face covering for the short 10 minute ferry journey over and back only (not on the island, correct as of 25/07/20). Suitable face coverings include facemasks, scarfs, bandanas or any other material. Please bring a face covering with you as persons without a face covering will not be allowed to travel, ideally something recyable/reusable. Facemasks may be purchased on arrival if you do not have one. No face covering is required during your time on the island at present but this may change between the time you book and date of travel. We will adhere to goverment advice and must insist visitors do likewise.
- Some persons are excluded from wearing a face covering: Children under the age of 12, suffers of asthma, anyone who has trouble breathing and anyone with special needs. Please idetify yourself or anyone in this bracket when booking in. Persons allowed to travel who are not wearing a face covering may be asked to sit in an outside area for the comfort and safety of themselves and others, please do not be offended by this action, we are endevouring to think of your safety and others.
- For more info on face coverings see https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-masks-disposable-gloves.html#:~:text=Who%20should%20not%20wear%20one,is%20unconscious%20or%20incapacitated
- While boarding our ferry we ask that all bookings sit together. Please do not sit next to any other passenger not in your group. It is imperative that passengers take personal responsibilty for this and respect other passengers on the sailing.
- We have reduced capacity significantly to allow for a gap of at least one seat between groups. Staff will be on hand to ensure compliance with this and to offer assistance.
- As we have reduced capacity on all our sailings it is neccessary for some passengers to sit outside during the sailing. With this in mind we ask that all passengers dress appropriately for the weather on the day.
- Please have your ticket printed or on display on your phone as tickets cannot be printed on arrival.
- The capacity of the ferry and island has been significantly reduced during this period, with an average of 40% reduction on each sailing. Please do not sit beside another individual from another group. The boat crew are directing passengers to seating and should you need assistance to identify a suitable seat they will be happy to help.
- While we have reduced capacity signicantly it is not possible to socially distance to 2 meters at al times on the ferry. You will receive a seat and in the vast majority of cases your group will be sat in a row with no persons from another party in your row, or in very rare cases with at least one seat divide. You will likely have other passengers in the seat behind you / across from you or in the row in front of you, in line with the directives for all public transport to make such journeys feasible. We would reiterate the it is a short 10 minute ferry journey to the island, masks must be worn and the doors and windows of the vessel are left open whenever possible. Please decide for yourself if you are comfortable with this set up and feel free to call us with queries, your safety and comfort is our priority.
1. Once your tickets have been purchased, the ticket is non-changeable and non-refundable except at the absolute discretion of Spike Island ®. No refunds for cancellations within 48 hours of sailing time.
2. All prices are quoted in Euro. Whilst we reserve the right to increase or decrease our prices at any time before you book, once your booking is confirmed the price of your booking as stated in the confirmation email will not be altered.
3. Visitors must report to the ferry departure point at least 10 minutes before their scheduled departure, having allowed time to park and walk from the suggested car parks at Cobh Heritage Center and Cobh Cathedral. There are NO refunds for late arrivals and no option of another sailing, in any and all circumstances.
4. We will use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that Spike Island ® and all of its exhibits/displays are open for use by visitors during normal opening hours. However the management reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, whether for safety reasons or otherwise and with or without prior notice, to close any specific exhibit or the entire island as deemed necessary. In the event a of the closure of a single exhibit, there is no eligibility for a refund or partial discount. In the event of a total closure, Spike Island ® will refund any visitor the cost of his or her prepaid ticket if it impacts your visit. Otherwise Spike Island ® shall have no liability whatsoever, including no liability for travel expenses or any other out of pocket expenses in respect of any unforeseen closure.
5. From time to time Spike Island ® or other authorised third parties may carry out photography or other recording at the venue and any images or recordings may feature visitors. Visitors consent to the use of such images in connection with advertising, promotions or monitoring and acknowledge that the copyright in such images rests with Spike Island ® and/or any authorised third party.
6. Only food and beverage purchased from Spike Island ® may be consumed in the Spike Island ® tea rooms and Cinema Club venue. Visitors may bring their own picnics or snacks to the island to eat outside, and school tours can bring pre-packed lunch with space reserved inside by pre-booking.
7. Spike Island ® is suitable for visitors under 18 years of age. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult aged 18 or above whilst visiting. Some events (After Dark, Cinema Club), can have age specific screenings or content, and it is the visitors responsibility to check this when booking. No refunds will be offered for incorrectly purchased tickets.
8. Pets or animals (with the exception of guide dogs and hearing dogs) are expressly prohibited on Spike Island ® and its ferry.
9. Groups of 15 or more can request a private guided tour by advance booking. They may travel with a public sailing or request a private boat, where a guide will meet them on the island to give their tour.
10. Weather: There are no refunds or changes of tour time for bad weather. Refunds are only issued if the tour is cancelled by Spike Island. Anyone unable to travel due to bad weather in their area is not entitled to a refund or change of date.
11. There is a seat for everyone on the ferry but this may be indoors or outdoors.
Visitors are advised to dress for the conditions. There are several internal interpreted spaces but the walk from the pier to the fort is outside and to enjoy the island walks, come prepared.
1. School tours are asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us via the number on the website, so that we can prepare a suitable tour.
2. Visits starting between 8.30am and 11am and may return anytime between 12.30m and 4pm. Visits after this time may have to return at 3.5 hours later but requests for a different departure time can be made in advance.
3. All day tours are available, typically ending between 2pm and 4pm. Final times must be agreed in writing or by email by SIDC before being confirmed, as return times are affected by pre-planned public sailings, tides and other concerns.
4. All day tour activities are subject to availability, and will be performed on a rotation basis for larger groups, typically 30 per group.
5. For all tour formats there will be times of the visit which will be unguided, and the care of the students is the responsibility of the teachers and guardians present. Unguided times will be communicated to each school on arrival.
6. Schools must present themselves at the pier at least 15 minutes prior to the departure time, to allow time for boarding. In the event of a late arrival Spike Island cannot guaranteed that the boat can wait, or that space will be available on a later sailing.
7. Should a school arrive late and so start the tour later, the full price is still applicable.
8. Schools may bring packed lunch or pre-arrange an order with our cafe.
9. The teachers and guardians of each school are fully responsible for the safety and conduct of their pupils on the Spike Island ferry.
CINEMA CLUB / AFTER DARK
1. Spike Island reserves the right to refuse entry to any persons to these events who has or is suspected of consuming alcohol prior to the tour.
2. Spike Island can immediately remove from a tour any person who has brought alcohol onto the island, confiscate the offending items, and without refund remove them from the island.
3. There are no refunds for late arrivals or for any other reason, and no option to swap ticket to another tour.
4. Tickets may be passed to another person for use.
5. No food may be taken to the island to be consumed other than soft drinks / water / coffee. Products may be purchased on the island at these events.
ALL VISITOR CONDUCT
Spike Island ® reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to refuse entry on to or remove from its premises or the vicinity any person who:-
1. Any person who may pose a threat to any visitor or staff may not be admitted.
2. Is behaving in a manner, which, in the opinion of Spike Island ® has, or is likely to affect the safety or enjoyment of other visitors, cause annoyance to other visitors, behaving in such a way as to cause danger or distress to others or damage the property;
3. Has used threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour or in any way provokes or behaves in a manner which may provoke a breach of the peace;
4. Is thought to be under the influence of alcohol or other substances;
5. In addition to the foregoing, where a person has caused damage he/she must meet any expenses incurred as a result of such behaviour;
6. All persons entering Spike Island ® must pay for admission. Tickets must be retained at all times and submitted for inspection if required by any employee or agent of Spike Island ® . The ticket must be shown to gain access to the ferry to and from the island.
7. In accordance with Irish Law, smoking is strictly prohibited within any building on Spike Island ® Should smokers wish to smoke outside they must do so in a way that does not impact other visitors, and the used cigerette must be placed in a dedicated bin or the user will be suject to a €100 fine;
8. Spike Island ® reserves the right to prosecute any persons found damaging or defacing any part of the premises.
9. Spike Island ® values the safety and comfort of our visitors above all. To protect visitors and staff, visitors and their belongings may be subject to a security screening before gaining entry to the ferry. Please review basic information about security screening and prohibited items below. We appreciate your patience and understanding of these procedures. The list below is not exhaustive and is subject to change and amendment at any stage.
10. Prohibited Items:
o ALL weapons, including: firearms, knives, machetes and flick knives, any items deemed dangerous, any dual-use items that could be dangerous. Pepper spray is considered a fire arm in Ireland and it is therefore illegal to have in your possession.
o All such items, if found during a search, will be confiscated and handed over to the Gardaí.
o SCISSORS, sharp instruments and tools are also prohibited and will be confiscated.
o LARGE packages. Suitcases, carry-on luggage and other large parcels are discouraged.
11. DO NOT leave items/bags unattended at any time.
If for some reason you are unhappy with any aspect of your booking or your visit with us, we ask that you contact us via a member of staff, through email@example.com or by calling us on the number on the website.
Enjoy your visit.